View Single Post
Old 06-11-2012, 05:59 AM   #79
dug224

Re: Dug's 1959 Fleetside

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricott View Post
You are really making great progress with getting the cab mounted. I will be asking for reference points and heights soon! You mentioned that you were a DIY person related to the wiring (and everything else it appears!). From the looks of your engine, it appears you could have this engine running in short order. If you purchase a Trailblazer SS underhood fuse block the engine harness will bolt to it to power the engine. Then all you need are 4 or 5 wires out of the Trailblazer SS underhood fuseblock connected for the engine to run. If you didn't get it, you will need to purchase a 2003-2005 computer (I have the number here at the house) from any chevy pickup that had a 5.3 engine (almost all), and you will need a Drive by Wire accelerator petal (can also be found in 2003-2005 pickups). You will need to have the "Theft" turned off in the computer (and while they are at it they can delete the rear O2 sensors - both can be done for less than $100 from several mail order shops - I can give you some names if you like, or go over to LS1Tech and look in the conversions and hybrids section and they can point you in the right direction). The 5.3 pickup tune will run this engine perfectly (in my opinion) as long as you don't change the cam or injectors.
Great gob documenting the build, you will save me countless hours on the frame fabrication part, I hope I can try and save you some time figuring out the wiring part.

Ricky
Ricky: You summed it up nicely. I did get the computer. In search of a drive by wire throttle body and pedal. Not normally missing. The engine sat around so long that it got robbed. There is a pair available on a 4.8 that just rolled in but was not sure that is is the same one that is on a 5.3. Will have to check.

Why the T.B. SS under hood fuse box? Can it be the stock fuse box out of a 5.3 T.B.? Finding one out of an SS seems like pretty low odds and I know I can get the stock one.

I don't intend to change the cam or injectors at this time so all the goods that came on the engine should bring it back to life in stock running condition. The best thing I did after loading the engine on the trailer was walk back in and have the counter man search his database for all of the parts/accessories that came specifically on that engine. He had everything except alternator and throttle body.....and bolts. Getting all the bolts off of the 4.8 that just rolled in and I left the dismantler a bucket that he is filling it with metric bolts.

Don't forget, the engine that fits these frames has a front sump oil pan that goes over the rack so, unless you get an engine out of a T.B., Envoy, Ascender or Ranier, it will have to be changed.
dug224 is offline   Reply With Quote