View Single Post
Old 02-17-2018, 04:44 PM   #80
'68OrangeSunshine

Re: Anyone running CB's in their truck these days?

I got an FCC license in the early '70s. Still have a blue Dymo tape label strip on my ash tray door KBLU4105. I almost always used a handle, though. ''Bluejay'' in high school, ''Agent Orange'' evolved into ''Orange Sunshine'' [when running my '68 Stepside in 516 orange] and ''the Walrus'' later on -- because of my furry grey fu manchu mustache.
When I bought my '71 GMC Jimmy in 1995, I also got a brand new Radio Shack SSB rig, but then didn't mount it as I got my first cellphone shortly after that.
A couple of years ago I 'found' my NIB SSB and hooked it up to the ground plane base antenna that's still on my house. I tried the sideband channels but concluded there was no intelligent life out there. Indeed no life out there.[No intelligent lifeforms on AM].
Right now, the rig is mounted on an adjustable pedestal that I put in the passenger footwell of whatever vehicle I'm using [usually for road trips ] and use a stubby mag mount. It doesn't get out very well with that antenna. I also found my RS noise-cancelling amp mike. It took some searching to find a replacement battery for it, as the OEM mercury batts are now forbidden. If I gang up 5 A76 coin batts I get the 7.5 vdc.
If this CB reboot craze gets bigger, I'll permanently mount it in the Stepside, since I still have the ball mount and HD spring sticking out of the butt of the drivers side fender. I never pulled the Mic clip from over the cigar lighter. It was too handy to hang a plastic litter bag from it.
I tried running a 48'' Shakespeare fiberglass stick on top of my Hustler break-over mast on the spring, but the Highway Patrol stopped me on I-10 one Sunday, and said it was too tall to be legal. Over 13' 6". So I'll have to do some adjustments.
WALRUS CLEAR

Every 25 years I like to rebuild that 292, whether it needs it or not.

Last edited by '68OrangeSunshine; 02-17-2018 at 04:53 PM.
'68OrangeSunshine is offline   Reply With Quote