View Single Post
Old 12-02-2020, 04:03 AM   #12
'68OrangeSunshine

Re: original air cleaner, steering column & Bendix brake booster sheen?

I have the distinction of having bought a slightly-used pickup truck when I was 23 -- and keeping it. Now I'm 70. To me it's still a daily driver work truck, and I think all these resto nuts-perfect nazis are kooks.

I get a kick out of some jokers who think I'm driving their next barn find. I treat any offers to buy as homo propositions. Told one guy at a gas pump [who said he had the perfect LS motor for it just waiting] that I wasn't gay. Stopped him in his tracks.
I mean, if you don't see a For Sale sign, mind your own business.

I modified it when and where I had to, kept it as much stock as possible.
I added some hi performance goodies to my 292*, when I absolutely had to be up to highway speeds in short order -- or get T-boned by just-off-night-shift copper miners, on their third beer by the time they got to my stretch. This was to get to morning classes at the University, downtown. Now there's a stoplight, but back then it was speed or die.

Dind't know Olds made a Camaro? 442 I remember. Pontiac had the F-Bird...

The Moroso air cleaner came on the V8 in my '71 GMC when I bought it. It was a 12'' diameter. I had been running a 14'' generic chrome [''sombrero''] air cleaner on my 292 L6. I traded them around. The 14'' for the 350 and the 12'' for the 292. Not that big on chrome parts myself, unless that's the only option available.
[* bored .030-over, w/ Clifford headers, Offy intake, four barrel carb]

Still in the original paint. Just rolled over 400,000. I try to keep it up. New shocks, rear brakes, new Batt, Alt and EVR this summer. Next item is front brakes, and eliminate the EVR and 10SI alternator for a 12 SI. You just can't get reliable EVRs any more. Brand new [8/20] battery went flat because the [also new] EVR is still causing a short.

Valve covers -- on the 350 in the '71 Jimmy, I repainted them Chevy Engine Orange, just to lose some of the Mr Goodwrench generic look on the new [in 1999] crate motor. Thought about going to a cast aluminum finned Clifford valve cover on my 292 -- so I painted a stock one Cast Iron Grey and tried it on. I think the Chevy Orange looks better, but I'm too busy to play musical valve covers right now. The aluminum ones are way spendy. Necessary if running roller rockers, [like on a later build] but not just for bling.

Every 25 years I like to rebuild that 292, whether it needs it or not.

Last edited by '68OrangeSunshine; 12-02-2020 at 04:33 AM.
'68OrangeSunshine is offline   Reply With Quote