View Single Post
Old 04-04-2020, 09:06 PM   #1
Malicious

Alternator or wiring issue on ls swap 74 c10

Hi all,

I have installed a 2003 ls1 from a local Australian commodore. This should be similar to the first year gto and potentially the early Camaro. It has a two pin alternator.

I am having issues with the alternator or the wiring for it.

I have wired the top white wire to the new constant power bus bar I’ve installed ( I’ve removed the old two post unit on the fire wall). The bottom brown wore I have hooked up to the existing brown alternator wire that goes through the firewall to the ignition switch. I have cut and wired in a 3v t10 globe into this wire between the firewall and ignition switch for an indicator light and added resistance as this is what I have read the alternator needs to avoid burning out.

Everything seems to be running great, engine and the alternator is charging the system, but the alternator light will not illuminate.

That’s my first issue.

Second issue: while trying everything to work out wtf is going on I noticed with the battery connected the alternator got warm. After talking to a couple of mates I decided to replace the alternator as the seems to be a lot of people saying that indicates the diodes are stuffed.

After replacing the alternator with a new one, the new alternator is also getting warm(I don’t think as warm however) and the light is still not illuminating.

Can someone help me work out wtf is going on?

Cheers!
Malicious is offline   Reply With Quote