View Single Post
Old 09-12-2018, 09:39 PM   #387
HO455
Post Whore

Re: Working Man's Burbon

The WMB let me down today!
I was about 1/8 mile from work and it just died. I was able to coast off the highway and sort of parked in the clear at the Army Corp of Engineers drive way. I called and told the folks at work I was going to be a little late and one of them was nice and came to get me so I didn't have to cut through the blackberrys to keep from walking on the highway.
I rounded up a few tools at lunch and shortly I discovered that the ignition power wired had broken off at the junction block on the fire wall. Fortunately I had enough foresight to bring a piece of wire and some connectors. I made a jumper lead to go from the battery positive to the BAT terminal on the HEI and when I touched the starter it jumped to life. It was good enough to get back to work and then home this evening. Looks like I will be doing some wiring on Saturday.

After some thought I have decided that I am as much to blame for this as the PO. He had the cut the ballast wire off about two inches from the connector and crimped a big yellow butt connector to the ballast wire and the new wire he ran to the HEI. I removed the connector and solderer the wires and covered then in heat shrink I failed to inspect the wire at the pin to see if it was damaged by the butt connector bouncing up and down. Which in hindsight it had been.
If it breaks I didn't want it in the first place
The WMB repair thread http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=698377

Last edited by HO455; 09-16-2018 at 01:10 PM.
HO455 is offline   Reply With Quote