View Single Post
Old 03-14-2010, 03:34 AM   #2916
TheSleeper

Re: How about some pics of '73-'87 Short Beds

i cant believe how well the paint is holding up, its quite an older resto...it sat outside in arizona for a good part of last year, plus it was driven daily in montana in snow and crappy weather for over a year before that too. i moved to AZ and of course, had the wrong motor, well, everything mechanically wrong, to come close to passing any kind of emissions...sigh. ran awesome.

so i took motor out of the 87 and put in a 63 i bought for 1k, and swapped the eagle 2s over as well. later i then decided, hey im gonna get it legal, bought complete tbi 350 from a 93 caprice i think it was, with computer and wiring harness. i barely got the motor bolted in, never fired it, and moved to kansas, a non-emissions state. so wife drove her car and i followed in my 63, which ran flawless thank god, flew back, and hauled the 87 back behind the uhaul with our stuff.

i gathered up the points distributor, the old holley carb and intake manifold (i just reamed out the center holes) from the blown up 350 yanked from the 63. i bolted it all together and the sob ran, and didnt smoke or anything, i was so shocked LOL. god i love chevies, a early 70s dist, 93 350 engine, who knows what carb, fires up and runs.

i did have to replace the manifold tho, the waterjacket where it goes to the heater hose was cracked, prob how he blew up the motor in the first place. got a nice aftermarket carbureted intake manifold ($100) to fit the centerbolt heads, a new hei distributor($100), my old edlebrock 600 and the thing runs great.

i threw the old points dist and holley on the 63 for now till i can afford to replace it, and it runs pretty good, dint bother dialing it all in as im gonna replace that stuff, just wanted to drive it on nice days, keep seals good and stuff.

why i love my chebbies LOL.