View Single Post
Old 11-25-2015, 02:01 PM   #9
leftybass209

Re: Should I just go HEI

Quote:
Originally Posted by davepl View Post
If you can find AN ACTUAL ORIGINAL GM HEI, then do it. The cheap ones are garbage, at least I've have 2 bad ones out of the box before I learned it.

If looking stock matters, and even if it doesn't, I'd just use a Pertonix module in your original unit. You may have a point gap issue to check, and that'd eliminate it, but gap them before you throw parts at it. Dwell can cause hard cold starts.

But sounds like you're missing some stuff. Is your choke set? Is your choke pull-off door gapped correctly? Heat riser working? Heat stove and chimney in place? Thermac valve working properly?

All that stuff needs to be there in proper working order for it to run right cold.
Pretty much. Get your engine running well WITH your points (or KNOW it's a distributor problem) before considering HEI, or you may fall into the pigeon hole some people do of cursing the HEI because they didn't know how to address the real issues. Pertronix is a great alternative. I shouldn't even say alternative, because it basically is an HEI setup that is used in place of stock points. The benefit of the Pertronix system is that, you already have a distributor that you can rebuild. There's nothing wrong with HEI, and some aftermarket companies supply a quality product, but a rebuilt stock HEI is an awesome proven performer, with plenty of customizable pieces to get your advance working exactly the way you want it. I'm using a GMPP HEI and it's beautiful in operation and far exceeds the Accel piece I swapped it with.
leftybass209 is offline   Reply With Quote