Thread: LT1 swap help?
View Single Post
Old 11-02-2016, 09:51 PM   #6
Nickelcharlie

Re: LT1 swap help?

Jay thank you for a very informative post. I was very interested in what you had to say because am looking at dropping an LT1 engine in my 86 for 3 reasons. 1. To get away from the carb. 2. An inexpensive swap with all the power that I would need. 3. I think it would be a good looking swap in a square body truck! I was glad to see you have 215 thousand smile miles on one of your engines.
I have several friends that Auto cross their C4s and one said that he has never seen a break down due to an engine problem. He has one C4 that he Auto Crosses and he runs the crap out of it!
Near me is a wrecking yard that only deals in C4s. He will sell me a complete LT1 with all the wiring that I need to get it running for 900.00. The last time I question an Ls swap the engine was close to 2500.00 to 3000.00. I am guessing that price has come down some because the abundance of Ls engines ou there for sale. Anyone have some prices of an Ls engine?
The owner of the wrecking yard mentioned how how easy this swap would be! He told me that it will mount up to the stock truck motor mounts. He said an engine from a Corvette with all the accessories on the front of the engine will drop in without touching the frame where as an LT1 engine from other cars the accessories will interfere with the frame because they are spead out more.
One thing I don't like about the Ls engines is they all have piston slap until they warm up then it goes away. Still a great engine.
I hope more people will add to this post so all information is presented. Jay did a great post.

Last edited by Nickelcharlie; 11-02-2016 at 09:57 PM.
Nickelcharlie is offline   Reply With Quote