View Single Post
Old 07-15-2013, 02:15 PM   #18
special-K
Special Order

Re: been rolling around the idea of lowering my 67 ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 54blackhornet View Post
I asked SSTim about lowering my 71 GMC 1500 but he suggested I research what others are doing about lowering. Can someone please explain how to drop a 1/2 ton with leafs that needs to be drivable afterwards? If you use drop spindles do you need shorter springs also ? Also can you remove the extra leafs if you have optional heavy duty leafs to get a little lower in rear ?.....
Posted via Mobile Device
Drop spindles give you a 2.5" drop. If you want more springs can be changed with drops by the inch. You can skip the spindles and just buy springs for up to 3" front drop.
For leaf springs you can remove the extra springs and that will drop you the thickness of the springs plus maybe and inch,due to lighter spring rate. You can remove more from the standard spring pack but you're asking for spring wrap. Options for lowering are axle-flip...moving the axle over the springs. There are kits for this. Another route is longer shackles,but you can only go so low before they hit the bed floor. There are also spring mounts made that position the springs higher up. Not sure if they are made for 67-72s but '73+ stuff can be used. Different combinations of all the above can be done,too. If you do an axle-flip it puts the axle near the frame. But,that's a good bit of drop and your HD springs would give more room and resist bottoming more..

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote