View Single Post
Old 07-20-2019, 01:49 PM   #12
dmjlambert

Re: Is there a pleasant chime?

I liked the API-4260-LW150-R programmable buzzer so well I added another one. These days, flashers do not make an adequately loud tink-tonk for me to hear, especially over the unnecessarily-loud exhaust. So I programmed it to make a loud tink-tonk by shopping for sounds on freesound.org and liked this one
https://freesound.org/people/ermine/sounds/23968/
I reduced noise and amplified the sound with Audacity and uploaded it into the buzzer with the PUI Indicator software like I did in my earlier post for the headlight warning.

For a couple months I connected it directly to the terminals of the flasher module and it played a very short sound. That was OK, but it would only play the tink and not the tonk.

So, I made a little circuit to turn the on-off-on-off blink voltage into a constant on voltage, that is on while the blinker is on. I used a 555 timer chip set up as a retriggerable monostable multivibrator with a diode to drain the capacitor and start the timer over each time the flasher module blinked the bulbs.
Name:  monost.jpg
Views: 375
Size:  23.9 KB

I designed the schematic and used a calculator for the capacitor and resistor values. http://www.ohmslawcalculator.com/555...ble-calculator Diode D1 is to discharge the capacitor and start the timer over, so the buzzer will turn off a little while after the last blink. The other diodes are optional and just for reverse polarity protection, so I don't burn anything out if I hook it up wrong.
Name:  BUZTIMER1.jpg
Views: 371
Size:  15.0 KB

I prototyped it and connected it to the truck to make sure it would work.
Name:  buzprot.jpg
Views: 352
Size:  38.9 KB

I rearranged the schematic to visualize the best layout of the parts on the circuit board.
Name:  BUZTIMER2.png
Views: 368
Size:  9.6 KB

I glued the components down with a little daub of E-6000 glue and soldered it together.
Name:  buzfin.jpg
Views: 371
Size:  32.4 KB

The battery voltage input for the circuit comes from the top connector of the flasher, the trigger input comes from the bottom connector of the flasher, and ground comes from a bare metal screw under the dash. I soldered directly to the flasher pins with thin wire. After assembling the 555 timer module, I encased it with heat shrink tubing and glued it to the buzzer. I used a zip-tie to hang it by one of its mounting ears to the wire bundle just like I did for the headlight warning buzzer as shown in my earlier post.

I can change the sound using a USB cable and computer if I want. It is possible to upload any sound that will remind me to turn off the blinker. I could program it for 25 seconds of silence followed by a brief boop or voice reminder "blinker is on" or something like that, or use a song snippet. The buzzer allows up to a 30 second sound to be uploaded, and it repeats the sound. For now I'm just going to use the tink-tonk sound.

Last edited by dmjlambert; 07-20-2019 at 05:37 PM.
dmjlambert is online now   Reply With Quote