View Single Post
Old 02-15-2021, 11:36 AM   #18
72afr
Beep! Beep!

Re: 72afr's '72 Short Step

So, 2021 begins what I call "The Re-reawakening". Although, after seeing someone else on here name their thread "High School Reunion", that would've been a much better name. As I was essentially a kid when we redid this, I've dove head first into relearning everything we did back then as well as all the stuff I wanted to do back then but couldn't afford. My time now is much more limited than it was then, so it'll likely be a while before it's complete, but I also don't have all that much to redo, and also no pressing deadlines (except I've promised my oldest that it'll be running this year).

I've already ordered the replacement steel gas tank, sending unit, stainless fuel lines and fuel pump. The fuel pump is currently the last item I'm awaiting to arrive to begin that project (and also warmer weather for my unheated garage). I picked up a 4bl carb rebuilt kit from Cliff as well as his book on the same. I also picked up replacement fender emblems for the 8/350 originals that I had cleaned up. In addition, I picked up a new set of pedals with trim as I was still rocking the OEM base pedals that we're getting worn. The hazard switch was broken when I bought the truck, so I picked up a new switch from Manes as well as all new upper column parts (levers, indicators, etc) from LMC. I had used LMC extensively during the first rebuild, and only read recently of their quality issues around this forum. While, I've already sunk that money, I'll be sure to start looking harder at other suppliers as well. Other odds and ends include a new correct rubber grommet for the fuel tank (we left the OEM cap in place as we weren't sure about the relocation when the body work was being done), 90deg socket for the rear fender marker (we cut the old one and just ran without a rear marker on that side as it's pretty tight to the filler. I'd like it to light up like the others), and new dash bulbs. Apparently during our dash doctoring, we didn't save the fiber socket, of which I now have a full fiber line to connect to one. I tried to order one from Classic Chevy as they were the only one to have one listed, but alas the socket is too big. Looks like I'll be hitting the F/S threads. During the original redo, one of the dashes we used had red bulbs, so we transferred them to ours and painted the green plate white. Looking at it now, it's too much red and a bit tacky for my taste. New bulbs are currently going in.

Also looking into new tires. Two of the current ones were on the truck when I bought it and the other two were used gifts. Seeing as the tires are now likely 20 years old, I'm going to replace with a set of BFG Radial T/A (white letters out of course!). Been lurking around the forum looking for a good size and setup, and will probably go with 255/60/15 up front and 275/60/15 in the rear.

Before/after of the column rebuild. I think it cleans up nice!
Attached Images

2019 Jeep Unlimited Rubicon (the wife's baby hauler)

Last edited by 72afr; 02-15-2021 at 12:29 PM.
72afr is offline   Reply With Quote