View Single Post
Old 10-30-2018, 11:47 AM   #48
SRT8-X

Re: '69 C10 327 SBC Off Idle Stumble / Misfire Help - I feel like I've tried EVERYTHI

Quote:
Originally Posted by HO455 View Post
A couple of items that may help. It sounds like backing the timing off helped. Have you verified that your timing marks for TDC are correct?

Misfires while turning does suggest a float level problem. When you check the float level make sure that the floats are not fuel soaked or if brass that they have no fuel inside of them. Also check that they move freely when holding the air horn level and at angles to mimic the forces felt when turning.

Your plug wires could have high internal resistance that may be changing as you move the wires. Here is what I use to test plug wires and spark power.
https://www.amazon.com/Lisle-20700-C.../dp/B00IXMA1RY

Have you tried wiring the choke open to take it out of the equation?

It is quite possible that you have more than one problem contributing to your symptoms.

Here's a link to a valve adjustment procedure.

https://www.crankshaftcoalition.com/...raulic_lifters

HO455, thanks for the updated response. Yes, I've verified TDC and the marks several times. My new mark is about 4° behind that of the original mark on the balancer.

Noted on the floats, I appreciate this information, I will check this as well.

Regarding the choke, I have not wired it open but have run several settings. I may give this a try as well but the choke seems to function properly and visibly open when it's supposed to be. Another note, the same situation was apparent with the old Carter AFB as well, it had the same or similar problems with the old carb and intake set-up.

Thanks for the link on valve adjustment, I'll plan to tackle this on the upcoming weekend and visually inspect the springs as well.
2000 JEEP Cherokee Sport XJ 4x4 4.0/4A (RUBY, son #2)
2013 VW GTI Driver's Edition 1.8T/6A (GRAU GEIST, son #1)
2016 BMW X5 xDrive50i MSport 4.4L N63/8A (SCHNEEWITTCHEN)
SRT8-X is offline   Reply With Quote