View Single Post
Old 02-12-2018, 06:52 PM   #4
RADustin

Re: 1976 CCSB Duramax Project #trucknamedsue

The idea of this truck originally started as wanting to build a crewcab 67-72. But I didn't want a custom body so I came to the decision to do an early square.

Before I purchased anything I did some decent feasibility studies to see if my plans would work, and if not how to modify them to work and fit/function.

Using a long bed frame drawing I found on the internet and a .dxf body I purchased, I got everything put in CAD. I'm a mechanical engineer by degree and design heavy equipment for a living, so it's second nature to realize everything in 3D CAD before a single piece of material is purchased.

Some of my earliest model progressions using stock square frame, 05+ Ford front D60, and LML Duramax rear axle, engine and trans. Original plans were coil springs in the front and leafs in the rear.

It can be noted that the LML radiator did not fit in the model and this proved to be true in real life.

I purchased a 2014 LML donor from copart out of Houston. Its about 60k miles, 4x4 with manual case. Involved in a flip accident but ran and drove once I welded the front suspension on it and got a key cut.

Out of the truck came the LML Duramax. Which is massive with twin EGRs. Designed and built a pallet to move it around the shop.

With the frame back from blasting/priming I went ahead and threw my extra cab on it, with some random front sheetmetal and coresupport. This allowed me to get some 3D scanning done and look at radiator options.

3D scanning the firewall-

fits the linesketch of the body perfect-

I knew the LML cooling stack was too large. But I wanted to try the LBZ/LMM stack. Luckily my brother let me borrow one he had.

LBZ/LMM compared to LML-

LBZ in the truck, obviously won't work. It'll have to be LB7/LLY-

Also realized with the scan it was going to be hard to fit the trans in a stock tunnel. I knew from research though that it has been done, but only in factory 4x4 trucks. So I sourced a tunnel, both the bolt in half and the weld in half.

Comparison-

I was able to put this data in CAD to place the engine/trans. Got the front suspension 4 link and front crossmember, engine mounts, and trans mounts designed. Steering bits was left on hold, as was coilover mounts. In the process of designing I went away from coils in favor of coilovers. Also will use air springs in rear with a level controller.

Last edited by RADustin; 08-08-2019 at 11:38 AM.
RADustin is offline   Reply With Quote