View Single Post
Old 04-15-2020, 02:02 AM   #38
randy500
Account Suspended

Re: 72 GMC K2500, short bed build

Quote:
Originally Posted by cornerstone View Post
I'm very interested in more details about spraying single stage urethane, so please post more about this when you start to paint the truck. Who is your paint guy?
I paint them myself in the space you see the truck in the garage. I did my first paint job in 1986, self taught from books and pointers from experienced painters, in those years i was in the army and they had auto craft shops ran by mechanics and body men.

I love single stage catalyzed paints for the following reasons.
1. They retain a factory look, not excessively glamorous
2. Less time the paint is wet and open to contamination
3. Dirt doesnt get buried in the clear
4. Easily repaired.

I avoid Single stage metallics but have done them. I have also done a lot of base clear, i just dont like the overall look and i especially dislike the extra spraying and dry time, it makes for a long day. Also more gun and tool cleaning. Base clear is a lot more effort.
I painted my K10 winter of 2018 but prior to that i last painted in about 2000, back then i always had one in process, either mine or a customer vehicle.

I used to paint mostly with catalyzed acrylic enamel, delstar usually, and some ppg concept urethane too.
Back then these cheaper paints like nason were just coming out, no way i would have used it back then.
I ended up buying this nason because is was $300 vs $600 or more for ppg concept.
Its the best spraying paint i have ever used....but it drys very fast which is only good if you can keep a wet edge. You have to lay it on wet and keep moving.

Im not sure if a first time painter would be very successful with it. I feel like its hard to make it run where as the old enamels were easy to make it run. They were also easy to spray out dull.
This urethane has great gloss and i think it would be hard to spray it out dull.
randy500 is offline   Reply With Quote