Thread: Got my K5 back!
View Single Post
Old 10-08-2019, 08:58 AM   #6
Ski-me

Re: Got my K5 back!

My story is very similar to yours! I had an 89' that I bought as second owner halfway through college. Drove it all through college and even left our marriage reception in it. Had our first kid and then we decided it was just not practical to keep with a baby, car seat, access, etc, so we sold it in Seattle around 1996. Always loved that truck and I babied it so much!

Well after 2 more kids, we bought a very similar Suburban, 91'. Moved from Seattle to Colorado and years past by. Always thought, "what if I could every find it again".....

Each time we visited Seattle area, I would go for "drives" trying to find it. Never could find it. Finally dawned on me, I had a police officer friend, maybe he could help locate the current owner.

I called the owner (in Seattle area) to see if he'd be interested in selling. He said he just sold it to some guys that hacked it up and turned into a wheeler. He also noted, yea it was a really nice truck for it's age, too! I was sad that my search was probably now over.

Now a good 10 years had gone by, and by habit, still scanned Seattle Craigslist ads. One day I saw one similar, but different top. I asked for VIN # (as I always do whenever I saw a white K5) and he came back with the exact VIN. I texted my wife, "I found it!!!" I tried to talk him down just a touch but didn't want to hint I was previous owner. I finally fessed up and had a brother in law go buy it for me.

I got on a plane few up to Seattle. Yea it was rough, but it was my truck once again! Drove it back to Colorado and now have had it ever since! All 3 of my girls have learned to drive on it, and I don't think I'll ever get rid of it. It has 378k on it now, and we've put far more money into it than it's ever worth.

Although my wife didn't understand completely, she "gets it". What a great wife she is!!

89' K5 Blazer, 2.5" lift, 35" tires
04' GMC Yukon XL, 3/4 ton, 8.1L
Ski-me is offline   Reply With Quote