Thread: POR-15 failure
View Single Post
Old 09-20-2002, 01:23 AM   #6
shadetree

"My story"

Thanks, wd for responding, are you a Por-15 rep? At any rate, I agree with you, this sounds like an application problem, however the directions were followed exactly. As for the chassis coating, our first application has bonded well, and is very hard to sandblast off. Our second coat mostly flakes off, easily. All of it is easily chipped, all of it veries a lot in color, and all of it does not resist chemicals well. With the chassis, I have concluded that this coating is intended to be applied over rust, and not unrusty steel. I suspect any second coat of Por-15 will not adhere very well. As for chipping easily, I think Por-15, or any future coating, needs a base coat of epoxy primer, which might solve other problems, too.
Now, for the exhaust coating. Por-15 exhaust coating is flat no good. This is NOT an application problem, this IS a lousy product problem. The directions were followed exactly for the exhaust coating. This product just does not work. Period.
I welcome any comments, suggestions, ect for this stuff, as I would love to be able to use it. steve