View Single Post
Old 01-23-2008, 10:01 PM   #39
mrein3

Re: Heater Fan- Reg heater vs AC Heater

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjvending View Post
I did some more checking on the wires today. I finally got the switch working. One of the wires going into the controller plug was loose. I now got the switch working. I do have another question: When I go throught the speeds on the switch, I get a low speed, then a med speed and then on the last one it goes back to a low speed. Shouldn't this be a hi-speed? Still need a bracket to get the controller installed. TJ
Are you still experiencing low fan speed on the high switch setting?
If so you're probably having issues with the relay. Note that the realy may be good and the high current supply to the relay may be bad. Trace the orange wire back to the battery. On lots of GM vehicles of this vintage there is an in-line 20 amp fuse on an orange wire that supplies current for the high speed setting. For the relay to work you need 12 volts on that wire, and a voltage from the switch to switch current from that big orange wire to the fan.

I owned my convertible since the late 80s. This past summer I was snooping around under the hood and found that a previous owner eliminated the fuse for the high speed fan current and simply twisted that wire together where the fuse holder was. Can you say fire hazzard? I soldered in a new fuse holder. On my truck, I converted my non-AC truck to Ac. I used a different relay than stock but it works like the stock set-up. When my fan switch is on high, it switches the relay on. That relay gets its current from a 10 or 12 gauge wire, through a 20 amp in-line fuse, right from the battery.

I hope this helps.
Center City, MN
mrein3 is offline   Reply With Quote