View Single Post
Old 04-18-2017, 10:05 AM   #65
Nomadicflyer

Re: 72 C20 Miss Olive

I kept back my tool boxes and a rack full of totes. Pressing on until I can drive the truck to the new house. It's not ideal, but then again none of this has been. Adapt and overcome.

So it didn't go without a hitch, throwing the key that first time. As I connected the negative terminal to the battery, the headlights began to warm my lower half. Found the headlight switch post, at the bottom of a box, and installed it. The instrument panel was just sitting there, not fully installed and I had not thought to install the headlight control post, as I'd be getting behind it to fix something. Turned out trying to think ahead gave me something to fix, right away. Easy enough.

I heard the distinct pop of a fuse blowing the first time I threw the key to run. Ugh. Wiper circuit. Ok, the next item on the hit list. Low hanging fuit; headlights worked. The new LED lights (not headlight$, but the rest) worked in park. Had to swap the LED relay and the emergency flasher to get the turn signals to work. Cool, lights work.

Heater fan works, carrying forward a prior issue. Hi, Med works, Low does not. I guess I'll be changing the resistor pack in the air box after all.

Turn the key~ engine cranks. Cool, but will not run. Dang it. Better hit that first.
  • Power to MSD box~ check
  • Power to MSD coil~ check
  • Distributer turning with engine ~ check
  • Trigger circuit to MSD box ~ check
  • Timing light to plug wires ~ check
  • Verify good grounds on heads ~ check
Still, no run.
With faithful adherence to troubleshooting techniques, established well before me, I went through my list of items and corrected the problem. After all, one of the main reasons for having my truck for so long is it's easy construction and ability to fix, right?
Attached Images