View Single Post
Old 01-09-2018, 09:47 PM   #349
Jeffh

Re: My Facetruck thread.

Quote:
Quote:
Here's some Face truck drama
Wednesday morning trailer hooked up on my way to pickup a '62 C30. 15 miles down the road my gallbladder shot craps. Did a u turn dropped off the trailer at home and headed to the people garage where they proceeded to pull it. Now I'm sitting here trying to stuff down a spoon full of Cinnamon Toast Crunch. No appetite at all, sore tummy, dizzy light headed from not eating hardly anything and worst of all I still have a '62 C30 out there that needs picking up in the now single digit weather.
Update!!

After some recliner time I decided it was time to make another attempt at bringing the C30 home. Bear in mind I bought it on one of those online farmer equipment auctions never seeing it in person but hey didn't spend much.
Hooked up the trailer, made sure the winch battery was charged and off I went this AM with the pushing 80 stepdad riding shotgun as the wife bailed to go see her Mom in Fort Dodge.
About 9 degrees but bundled up and have all day so shouldn't have any problems.
Turns out instead of a 2 hour trip it was a 2 1/2 hour trip to where it was. No probs, have all day.
Finally got there and backed up to it. Of course it was twice as rough as I was anticipating. Where he said it would run on the phone it was now it will run but there is no battery, knocks like crazy and the throttle takes off over revving. Pretty much all the stuff that I thought I might be able to use on my project '60 short fleetside is worse than I already have. Whatever, it was already paid for, no way to wiggle out lets load it and get it home.
Reeled out the 10K Warn winch mounted on the front of the trailer hooked it to the battery, pushed the button and "click" nothing else. Bear in mind I have never had any problems at all with my winch but after today I can no longer say that. Tryed some on the spot tinkering to no avail.
What to do? Well I have an old Chinese comealong in the back of the truck, not going to go home without getting it loaded and besides the Doc says I have a full 20 pound weight restriction might as well see if he really means it.
Rachet rachet rachet rachet rachet rachet little by little the old truck comes up the ramp. Then what, the comealong breaks. Tryed some on the spot tinkering with it but the seller came to the rescue with another old comealong I believe was bought from the same Chinaman. Rachet rachet rachet rachet rachet an hour later its on the trailer!!!
Tied it down and we are on the road back.
How much do these C30s weigh??? My 1/2 ton pickup was not liking it. Drove slow and easy all the way home and did go a different route somewhat out of the way to avoid the Omaha/Interstate 80 traffic.
None the less its now home. Probably pull some stuff off of it I can use and whatever else I can find that looks decent and scrap the rest. Going to think long and hard before do this again.....
Today it got up to a balmy 41 degrees so I decided to go out and see what was wrong with that winch.
Hooked the battery up, hooked the remote up and... you guessed it, worked just fine.

Jeffh is offline   Reply With Quote