Thread: Camshafts..
View Single Post
Old 01-26-2012, 09:21 AM   #21
68Stepbed

Re: Camshafts..

John, as I said before, the XE262 is the way to go for more all around "useable" power. The XE268 will be a great performance cam, still with good street manners, but power will come in a bit later.

My dad has the same cam in his 56 that you have. Compared to the XE262 cam I had in my truck, my truck felt like it pulled harder through a wider rpm range. Keep in mind this is in a heavier truck with an auto trans compared to a lighter 4 speed car. My dad is happy with his cam because his car is just a cruiser anyway. He never built the car for performance.

As for the Lunati VooDoo, I wish I could give more info on it, but I just don't know enough about them. What I DO know is that the technology in the VooDoo cams is copied from COMP's Extreme Energy(XE) line of cams. They have dual pattern lobes with longer closing ramps to cut down on excessive valvetrain wear and less valvetrain noise. If that's the noise you're referring to. Compared to the the old High Energy and Magnum line of cams from COMP, then yes the VooDoo line is "less noisy", but COMPs XE line is also "less noisy" as well. I also believe the VooDoo cams have wider lobe seperation angles(LSA) of around 112* giving them "tamer" idle characteristics compared to the lower LSA of 110* of COMPs XE line.

As for picking between the COMP XE series and the Lunati VooDoo, flip a coin. I don't think you'll be disappointed either way, especially compared to your current Thumpr cam. With no personal experience with the VooDoo line myself, though, I'm not sure I can recommend which particular profile to choose from.

68 C10 stepside, LS1/700R4, TCI Engineering suspension system
68Stepbed is offline   Reply With Quote