View Single Post
Old 11-30-2017, 10:45 AM   #6
Rich69shortfleet

Re: Bed side rails: why wouldn't a set for '73 fit?

Quote:
Originally Posted by outfield View Post
The top of the bed rail for the '73 and up trucks is wider then for the 67 to 72 trucks. The '73 and up bed rails will over hang inboard if you try to use them, I believe it is as much as an inch.
I would look for a square body truck in a parking lot and park next to it to do a side by side comparison.
I remember years ago when I worked at a 4x4 shop and sold bedrails that the 73 and up rails would not fit right on our trucks...
Quote:
Originally Posted by special-K View Post
Many people refer to the top edge of a bedside as the rail. You are talking about bedside caps or bed rail caps that lay on the body to cover the top of the bed. First there were tailgate caps, then they figured people would buy a cap made for the bedside if they pumped them out. The aftermarket jumps so eagerly into producing accessories they often don't learn the proper terminology of their own product before putting it out causing confusion in terminology. The OP is referring to the trim rails or grab rails most refer to as bed rails that go on the bedside.

Pretty much anything made for a 73-87 bed will fit on a 67-72. Things like caps, campers, ladder racks, tool boxes, and bed rails. I have a set of ladder racks on my '72 that I originally made for an '84. The base is angle on the sides and front that lay on top of the bed with the flange inside the bed.
I think I get what outfield is saying, I think he is saying that the top of the 67-72 box edges (bed rails) is narrow, narrower than the 73 and up trucks. In fact, I recall that the inside edge of the stake pocket openings are about 1/4" or less from the inside edge of the bed rail. His point being that the bases of most aftermarket bed rails overhang the stakepocket hole by a bit so as to completely cover the stakepockets holes completely and thus would overhang the interior edge of the bed rail on our trucks.

However, in my case, I have a Pacesetter retractable cover and it has flat rails that mount partially on top of and extend over the bed rail to the interior of the bed about 2 inches. Bascially I'd be mounting the bed rail tubes on top of the Pacesetter cover rails so nothing would be over hanging anything. So, my only concern is the distance between the front and rear stakepockets.
Rich69shortfleet is offline   Reply With Quote