View Single Post
Old 06-30-2013, 06:07 PM   #81
rgunlock

Re: My 78 K15 High Sierra build - Fish Tremble

Well, when I left off a few weeks ago, I showed the large hole I had cut in the passenger floor and a patch panel I'd trimmed to fit. It's at least 100 degrees in my shop right now so seemed like a good time to come into the AC with a beer and update my build. I'm going to jump to the finished (almost) picture of the patch panel in and spare you pics of all the ugly holes I burned and had to fill. At that point I decided to tackle just a small patch to feel better about my progress. Somewhere, I got it into my head that butt welds were the best route, but I think I just caused myself a lot of grief going that route with this floor panel. I think a lap joint would have been easier, gone a lot faster and probably turned out better. It won't be seen anyway once I'm done. Didn't realize how fuzzy my magnets had got in the 3rd pic I've been taking the tops off my welds lately with the edge of a cutoff wheel, which works pretty well. The tools I've got to finish off the grind are either too aggressive (grinder or flap disk), or too gentle (maroon scotch pad thingy on die grinder). Need to find something in the middle that is just right. Waiting to finish cleaning up these edges til I find what that is.
Attached Images

78 GMC K15 SWB, 350/NV4500/NP205/4.10s Project Hazel
71 GMC C25 350/TH400 - Project Angie
59 Chevy SWB Stepside (next in line? Not sure now )
2001 GMC Sierra K2500
rgunlock is online now   Reply With Quote