View Single Post
Old 07-08-2019, 05:40 PM   #280
Steve-W

Re: 1969 Custom/10 clean up

situation 1) having driven my truck lately without any noticeable issues I put it on the lift because of some rumbling sound at a certain speed. turned out my center driveshaft bearing was busted, so ordered a new one from Rockauto, but didn't check any further. So the new bearing comes and when taking off the old one I notice the play is not so much in the bearing as it is in between the bearing and the driveshaft.. so the seat(?) where the bearing mounts is all worn out.
what to do? get a new driveshaft or have it welded up and then machined to the required thickness?

situation 2) I have the tendency to buy stuff in the spur of the moment, which lead me to buy the 10 bolt G30 rearend a while back. I thought the axles would fit my GM 12 Bolt wanting to convert from 6 bolt to 5 bolt. Alas.. they are a tad longer, but the drums on the 10 bolt are wider as well. I guess I have 3 options here:
a) use the axels from the 10 bolt and transfer the wider brake shoes and drums etc
b) install the complete 10 bolt instead of the 12 bolt, and countering the gear ratio disadvantage by putting in a 700R4 (which I just bought last week)
c) order 2x USA STANDARD GEAR USA21629 1541H Alloy Axle; 30 spline; 30-3/4" long; 5 lug from rockauto. (and still get the 700R4 in for lower RPM at 65MPH)

what's the sensible thing to do fella's?
1950 GMC 100
1958 Chevy C60 Viking ratrod
Steve-W is offline   Reply With Quote