Thread: Steering issues
View Single Post
Old 08-06-2019, 02:40 PM   #10
shifty
Questionable

Re: Steering issues

I replaced the intermediate shaft on my truck, which comes with a new riveted rag joint, and it resolved 80% of the looseness and play in my '98. Mind you: My truck has less than 100k miles on the clock, so it's not like I've driven it to death, I was surprised that's what the majority of the problem was, not the gearbox. I guess time had just taken its toll.

Thread about the replacement is here, it's a massive improvement and was easier than hammering out and bolting in a new ragjoint, albeit more expensive: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=788788

That said, I've been hovering over buying a quicker-ratio Redhead gearbox to eke that last 20% out and get tight-tight steering again. I just honestly don't have the time, patience or confidence to install the new box right now or it'd already be bought and done. I don't have anyone currently I trust to do the work for me. I miss the days when I had more time than money. Now I'm stuck with no time and barely any more money than when I had all the time in the world.

I can't check the forum daily. If I don't reply to you within 24 hours, drop me a PM! I'm (hopefully) still alive and will reply faster to a PM.
shifty is offline   Reply With Quote