View Single Post
Old 04-06-2021, 02:00 PM   #1
Joemomma1

5.7 LS1 into a 66

Creating this to document my swap so others may learn from it. My approach was to keep costs down by using parts found over the counter or at the wrecking yard. I have found that there is no need to spend tons of money on the aftermarket or replace perfectly functioning systems. The donor vehicle was an f body 2000 Camaro SS w/ a 4L60E. At the time of this posting, the truck is running and driving but haven't logged any highway miles to fully stretch its legs and expose problems. Will update as I can.

Brackets and mounts are from a 73-87 3/4 ton and above Chevy 2 wheel drive truck. These frame brackets are not as tall as the 1/2 ton versions and will not require a spacer for this frame. After a comparison, these seem to be the inspiration for the early classic enterprises version. I used the rear most holes as the point of reference at the frame and crossmember. This is the stock 66 crossmember. The frame did have to be notched about 3/8" - 1/2" on each side so the brackets would sit flush. This shouldn't hurt anything as the later frames are already sectioned here to accommodate big blocks. Sliding type adapters were about $50 from amazon . No link or specifics as these seem to be the same sold by many other sellers or on ebay. Clamshell rubber mounts were $7 a piece. Note that there are only 3 bolts holding the mount to the frame brackets as I believe the orientation can change depending on the application.
Attached Images

Joemomma1 is offline   Reply With Quote