View Single Post
Old 01-05-2015, 02:57 AM   #42
argonaut

Re: Adopting a Suburban Carryall, The Seahorse

Quote:
Originally Posted by 61K10 View Post
Kinda looks like mine, but mine is welded on and the frame horns were cut off. so it's staid. I don't know, might have been a good thing on the freeway down there lol!
Yeah, luckily they were pretty careful when they installed the bumper+skidplate. They simply cut a 1/4" slot in the bottom front edge of each frame horn and slid it in. They even left the original side brackets mounted to the frame so I was able to use four of the six bolts to mount the bumper. I still need to rebuild the lower edge of the front frame horns but luckily I cut off and saved a set from an old bent frame my dad had.

Quote:
Originally Posted by McMurphy View Post
If you were not 2,000 miles away I would come get it. I have a perfect use for it.
I wish i could give it to you. Save me a trip to the scrapper. I hate to throw away useful items.

Quote:
Originally Posted by duallyjams View Post
Does the front sit higher now.
It sits slightly higher. The front springs have only two leafs and are worn out. The front axle is barely 1" from the bump stops and about 2" from hitting the oil pan. It only came up about 1/4" to 1/2". Now I'm not sure if I should go with new stock height springs for the front, or 2" lift springs for front and rear. I'm going to run 235/85R16 tires which are only about 32" OD. I don't want a big lift, just enough to clear the tires (tall and skinny) and look good!

So I drove an hour to pick up a set of 3/4 ton axles, Dana 44 + 14 bolt, that supposedly had 3.73 gearing. Pulled the covers and turns out they are 4.09/4.10. Not ideal but not the en of the world.

The ring and pinion looked great on both and the price was good so I loaded them up into Big Ugly. The front is date stamped '74 and has the external hubs with hub flanges already mounted. Which is perfect because I was planning on buying another set. I also already have another new pair of front calipers in the garage. The 14 BFF is '89 so has the extra ribs on the case. I debating whether or not to convert it to disks or leave the drums on.

1972 K5 Blazer CST, Turquoise
1966 K20 Short Fleet Pickup, Big Ugly
1964 C10 Short Fleet, Gertrude

2001 Porsche 911 Carrera
1996 Ford Bronco XLT
1980 Jeep Wagoneer

2008 Honda CBR1000RR
2005 Honda RC51
1981 Honda CB750C

No dis-assemble Johnny Five! No dis-assemble!

Last edited by argonaut; 01-09-2015 at 11:56 AM.
argonaut is offline   Reply With Quote