View Single Post
Old 03-04-2021, 08:49 PM   #13
Rich72C10
Mr. Cheyenne

Re: Preventive Headaches: Installing New Shocks

The back shocks are on. The old ones, gee, I can compress them with no amount of effort and then they kind of think of decompressing and then say, "naw I happy compressed".

Now I am not so sure these nuts were 70 ft lbs. Granted I was using a 1/2 drive but they came loose with little to no effort (all the way around / top & bottom). I am concerned about them.

1. The tops are replacements, funny how new they look. They had washers on both sides, with the nut side having a lock washer. So I guess I am only with those - unless they are not the proper grade of fasteners. What grade are these suppose to be.

2. The bottoms had no washers at all, only a lock washer with the nut. I assume I should have a washer between the shock and lock washer? Seems reasonable. Though the bolt is two short to even put one on. There is hardly enough bolt to get the lock washer and nut on to be honest.

3. Oh, one bottom nut is 3/8, like the bolt head, all the other nuts are 7/8.

So, fastener and configuration recommendations? Going to do some searching too.

Edit: Manual shows me. No washers at all on top or I think that is just a lock washer at the top in the photo. Then bottom has wash, lock, then nut.

So, 7/8 nuts, longer Grade 8 bolts (what seems to be on there now is Grade 5) so I can have a washer, lock washer, then nut at the bottom??
Attached Images

'72 Chevy C10 Cheyenne *Super WHT/MED BRONZE/WHT
SBC 350 | TH350 | LWB | AC | Buddy Seats
Upgrades: Tilt | Front Sway Bar | Radio | Sliding Window | Bed Spare w/Lock
Bed Rails | Full LEDs | Courtesy Lights | Tachometer | Glovebox Lock & Light | Head Light Relays | *Upgraded Fully Super Trim

Last edited by Rich72C10; 03-04-2021 at 09:38 PM.
Rich72C10 is offline   Reply With Quote