View Single Post
Old 02-17-2009, 11:20 PM   #1
IvelDesigns
Commander Taco Bello

1950 Chevy 3600 - Bumper Punchin'

By request, I'm starting a new build thread before I have the truck in my hands

I will be picking up a 1950 Chevy truck in about 3 weeks and have a pretty aggressive plan and timeline for it.

Basically what I was able to find (with the help of Bob 68327) is a nearly rust free and complete '50 Chevy truck. I haven't looked inside the cab yet, but the outer sheet metal is 100% there. There are a few dents, but nothing major or unrepairable. Since there is no outer rust, I fully expect to find the floor boards rotted. I mean, it's Iowa damn it... there has to be rust somewhere...

Anyways, the plan... Mustang II setup up front running RE7's and 2" drop spindles. The rear will get a wishbone setup also running RE7's. I'm planning for two compressors, a 5 gal tank, and 8 valves. Probably going to stick with 1/4" line as 3/8" is faster than i want it to be. The goal is for the running boards to be level, and less than 1" off the ground when aired out. Also being able to drive in a straight line when aired out is a must. My kids will be in this, so it has to be safe.

I have a 350 4-bolt that is getting sent off to the shop for a good cleaning, crack check and short block build. Not doing anything crazy with it. just a good running, clean looking engine. the engine bay will be highly chromed out and painted.

Inside the cab is going to pretty much remain as is. I'll need to get the seat re-done, but i'm thinking something simple like a grey/black tweed. It also needs new glass all around.

The body, other than banging out a few of the dents to a semi smooth state, will remain as is. I'm a little concerned with the bare metal rusting, so i may possibly consider painting the truck in the fall a flat black. But this summer it's staying as is for sure. I will also be on the look out for a good pin-striper.

wheels and tires: Wide whites all around on black 15" steelies with baby moons.

So yeah, that's the plan. The timeline is to have this back on the road in time for the Midwest Meet the weekend after Memorial Day. If i cannot meet that timeline, it WILL be on the road in time for the Des Moines Good Guys show.

And now for the pics:
Attached Images

Last edited by IvelDesigns; 02-17-2009 at 11:35 PM.
IvelDesigns is offline   Reply With Quote