View Single Post
Old 02-05-2023, 06:39 PM   #15
1966 K10

Re: 60-66 Suburban Challenges

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanAK View Post
your long-term plans match what I've been considering. I'm looking for a west-coast truck since I have a good friend north of Seattle that wants to do the build-out.

Driveline mod considerations include your suggestions above... though Matt wants to do a 4BTA. I keep pondering something like a 401 Nailhead with T-5 and divorced NP205. Time will tell.

If I started with a stripped out burb and funds to back it I would definitely power it differently. A 383 vortec SBC, 93 NV4500, IH divorced NP205, Dana 60 front and 14 bolt rear with 4.10s and 35in tires. If it was a GMC Id find a Pontiac V8 and Dana 60 rear instead of the 14 bolt. Since I like super slow crawling off road an aux transmission in front of the t case would be the ultimate. If you put in a Spicer 5831 you not only get an additional 2:1 low but a .73 OD too. If running the doubler Id change the axle ratio to 3.54 or so for the ultimate spread. Using a 82 up hydraulic clutch setup would also make things much easier.

For brakes Id definitely go hydroboost and get the bonus power steering at the same time. Swap in some rear disks while you are at it to lower sprung weight.

The main issue with this era truck is the leaf springs, which are available but SUPER expensive and still ride like a covered wagon. Doing a B52 conversion up front will make the ride like a modern vehicle with 4in lift using a stock spring. As mentioned a shackle flip in the rear would get rid of the factory block but still need a track bar if you like to use the loud pedal and want to avoid wheel hop. I looked for decades to find a 4x4 burb and after about 8 years or so I gave up settled on an original 65 2wd and was going to convert it to 4wd. If I was to go that route Id rather start with a GMC since they came factory with rear leaves and would be a better candidate for suspension upgrade.

Sometimes I wish my rides werent so original that way I wouldnt feel so bad changing stuff up.
1966 K10 is offline   Reply With Quote