View Single Post
Old 07-02-2019, 01:15 PM   #64
Barnfind46

Re: EagleChief's 1971 Build Thread

I was reading your thread. How much coolant are you loosing?Does your truck have a catch can on the radiator? These older systems will loose a little coolant when you shut the engine off due to expansion. Also,have you tested the cooling system for pressure? you can buy or borrow a system pressure tester to see if it maintains pressure over a period of time. While the truck is cold before you start it you install the proper adapter to your radiator. It replaces your cap and has a place to hook a hose. You hook the hose and pump it up while watching the gauge. You stop pumping at 8 or 10 psi. Leave it alone and watch to see if you loose pressure. If the gauge stays where its at for 5 or 10 min. you are good. If you loose pressure then you may have an intake seep,radiator hose leak,head gasket problem or radiator issue. The radiator will have a damp spot even if it is very small. Intake is a little harder to tell. Head gasket should be apparent with a lot of coolant loss,steam in the exhaust and overheating. I hope this helps. I would rather get to the fun stuff but working out the mechanical issues makes more since and the sooner the truck is driving well without brake down the better the wife will like it.Good luck!