View Single Post
Old 06-09-2011, 12:29 AM   #132
Beelzeburb
Devil's in the Details

Beelzeburb: Mini Update 3.5 subsection D

I'll be sure to look further into the IAC motor soon mosesburb. My scanner can read counts w/o the engine running and the IAC motor itself is original as far as I know. I didn't quite get too far into the diagnostic charts yet because at the time I wasn't very concerned with idle. Right now, with the timing re-set it idles at 1000 rpm mostly. It'll race to 1500 when switching from drive to park but then eventually level out to 1000. Sometimes it'll drop further and hang out right at 700 rpm, so there's some more sleuthing to be done.

I've been busy today with modifying and mounting the auxiliary cooling fan.

It's the stock auxiliary fan from the '88 C3500 with a few new bends made to the original bracket arms. Both the power and ground wires are hooked up, so all I need now is a hot day to make sure it works. I've also been busy dealing with the local DMV office. Well, a couple weeks ago I was reading the latest issue of 4WOR and they mentioned that in Utah, one of the aspects of a law regarding vintage cars was due to change soon. Namely, cars older than 30 years could be considered 'vintage' which would surmount the 40 year standing rule. The part that really interested me was that they mentioned vintage vehicles as being exempt from yearly safety inspections. I did some further research, and sure enough, Utah Code 41-1a-205 clearly states that automobiles registered as vintage vehicles are exempt from yearly safety inspections. I own four vehicles that could easily fall under the category of "vintage" as defined in 41-21-1 of the Utah Code, so I could potentially save roughly $70 a year (okay, two of them aren't insured at the moment so more like $35) not having to pay for extraneous safety inspections. I always make sure my vehicles are up to code anyway and haven't ever had a problem passing before.

Armed with printouts of those sections and others I walked into the local DMV office yesterday. They had never heard of such a thing, so the two employees working that day didn't want to budge on the issue. The only advice they gave me was to either: A. check with the legislature or B. check with the highway patrol. They also suggested that I make sure the sections of code I was referencing were up to date. Well, I've double checked and the sections of code I had with me are in fact the most recent iterations available. I've phoned the local highway patrol and they're supposed to have the officer who knows about these sorts of issues call me back. I'll get clarification on this issue either through the highway patrol office, or I'll make sure someone in a supervisory position at the DMV straightens it out.

Oh, and thanks for the compliments on the Z guys. I had it at the Parowan car show on Saturday and it brought back memories for plenty of people who had owned or driven one back in the day. Be sure to check post #21 in this thread to see that car four years ago when I'd just bought it and had to tow the thing home.