View Single Post
Old 09-15-2020, 09:02 AM   #9
geezer#99

Re: Considering running 18’s - what fits?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick_R_23 View Post
Main problem is that I’m away for work for a while and don’t/haven’t had access to my truck for a while. I’d rather not guess on a fitment as wheels aren’t cheap.

However, since nobody seems to know for sure, I tried to do a little more research. Let’s see if you all agree with what I came up with.

I found a 15x8 rally wheel has 4” backspacing (and also 4” frontspacing). These 9.5” wheels have 5.75” backspacing (and 3.75” frontspacing). This means the new wheel will sit inward only .25” on the outside, but 1.75” inward more on the inside. However, with a 1” wheel spacer, it would now center the backspacing like stock (with 4.75” on each side now), but the wheel would be 3/4 wider than stock on both the inside and the outside of the wheel.

So the big question would be, do I have enough room on both the inside and
outside of the wheel to add an extra 3/4” width each direction over a stock 15x8?
Your numbers are skewed.
An 8 inch rim is actually 9 inches wide from edge to edge. So with 4 inch bs you have 5 inch front space. Back spacing is measured from the edge to the wheel mount surface.
When you figure measurements remember tire cross section (Bulge)which generally is 1 inch wider than the rim.
And then you need 1 inch clearance beyond edge of tire to anything it might rub on.
It gets real complicated.
Much easier to make or buy a tool like I linked and be accurate.
Some might think an 80 buck tool is a waste of money but you’ll use it more than once.this won’t be the only time you try to stuff your wheel wells with lots of rubber.
geezer#99 is offline   Reply With Quote