View Single Post
Old 09-15-2020, 10:15 AM   #10
SCOTI

Re: Considering running 18’s - what fits?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick_R_23 View Post
Main problem is that I’m away for work for a while and don’t/haven’t had access to my truck for a while. I’d rather not guess on a fitment as wheels aren’t cheap.

However, since nobody seems to know for sure, I tried to do a little more research. Let’s see if you all agree with what I came up with.

I found a 15x8 rally wheel has 4” backspacing (and also 4” frontspacing). These 9.5” wheels have 5.75” backspacing (and 3.75” frontspacing). This means the new wheel will sit inward only .25” on the outside, but 1.75” inward more on the inside. However, with a 1” wheel spacer, it would now center the backspacing like stock (with 4.75” on each side now), but the wheel would be 3/4 wider than stock on both the inside and the outside of the wheel.

So the big question would be, do I have enough room on both the inside and outside of the wheel to add an extra 3/4” width each direction over a stock 15x8?
Ahh . . ….. Not having things in front of you does make it difficult to accurately measure. The issue is when others declare something 'clears just fine', it's doing so on a different truck w/possibly a different group of parts & from a different perspective. What one guy is ok with, another may not care for.

It sounds like you're buying 'off the shelf' wheels vs. custom spec (choosing the exact BS/offset) based on the wheel size/BS listed. I really suggest waiting until you can measure in-person. It's a hard choice to have to wait but a better choice unless you can easily buy/return the wheels until you get what you want.

Most guys like the 15x8 w/4"BS factory look. The 9.5" size you listed will be tucked in more but you'll adjust for that w/spacers. That means testing lock-to-lock turning to verify clearance up front because they're still going to be closer to the suspension parts (farther-out because of larger wheel diameter but still farther in-board as far as distance vs the current wheel).

I'm guessing your current set-up clears the fender lip. Your proposed 9.5's would be .750 farther out vs your current set-up. Does it clear by that much?

Now lets move to the rear.....

A 10" wheel w/5" of back spacing is centered in the wheel well & has about the same clearance inside & out from contacting sheet metal. A 10" wheel w/5.5BS starts getting real close to the inner tub.

If your current 8's clear fine, the proposed 9.5's are 1.75" farther in-board vs the Ralley. The 1" spacer here will keep the wheel from buzzing on the inside @ the tub.

In theory (math), they'll clear F&R. They'll have the 'look' that a FWD does or like the late models do w/minimal lip on the outer edge vs. the current steel wheels you have.
The current track width phenomenon (front slightly wider vs rear) might be more pronounced as well.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.

Last edited by SCOTI; 09-15-2020 at 10:21 AM.
SCOTI is offline   Reply With Quote