View Single Post
Old 10-23-2018, 09:38 AM   #19
homemade87

Re: Trans cooler, too big?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mplex2000 View Post
After researching the trans cooler I've seen every combo of:

Fittings never down, always down, always up, always sideways, factory coolers have fittings down, inlet always on top, inlet always on bottom, cooler can be too big, can't be too big, cooler before radiator, after radiator, only cooler no radiator, and ...

In this particular case the factory runs the hot line in to the top of the radiator and most sources I've seen suggest running the inlet at top when fittings are sideways. I haven't seen much of a good explanation for why it matters one way or the other but I did what I thought was best based on the information available to me. I'd guess that running to the top may put less stress on the pump and at the same time running to the bottom may keep the fluid in the cooler longer. Either way, I'll bet it will be fine and will run nice and cool.
I generally put the inlet at the bottom as well . I think the radiator cooler would be fine because it is small . I think the most concern is that bigger cooler will trap air at the top and not push it all out to the bottom and loose some of the cooling capacity . Most likely it will eventually purge the air out . I think you will be fine anyway .
homemade87 is offline   Reply With Quote