View Single Post
Old 10-17-2018, 10:32 PM   #24
Slowguy

Re: Prep right before painting frame after sand blasting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snake72 View Post
I blasted my frame with Black Blast from Menards, no silica dust to inhale or get embedded into frame and works very well. Left the frame with a lot of sharp "tooth" and grit to adhere to. Blew off the frame with filtered compressed air and coated with POR. I did not acid etch. POR went on great and I cant even scatch it. So far no adhesion or peeling with assembly of the truck. Did not top coat either but wish I would have while tacky just for extra insurance. Time will tell...
I was thinking about the black blast (coal slag) from menards also but the amount I used would have been very expensive. I didn’t get much dust (if at all) since I used a wet blast method. I’ve used the slag in my cabinet before and it worked well. The silica actually put a perfect finish for coating and I wonder if much could have embedded in the metal since it was done with very high pressure water as well?

As you can see from the pic above, it cleaned the cross member somwell it looks almost white like it was painted. That is actually the 50 year old steel perfectly cleaned and acid etched.
Slowguy is offline   Reply With Quote