View Single Post
Old 11-05-2018, 10:54 AM   #31
Willie Makeit

Re: Best fuel line thread sealant?

Quote:
Originally Posted by davepl View Post
"Thread seal tape (also known as PTFE tape or plumber's tape) is a polytetrafluoroethylene (PTFE) film tape commonly used in plumbing for sealing pipe threads."

You might be correct about how YOU use use, but it's still properly called PTFE Thread Seal Tape. I've been calling myself a plumber for over 40 years and selling sealants longer than that!

The tape is intended to seal in SPECIFIC applications, though in reality most applications people try to use it on here wind up being a flare or compression seal that the threads have no role in doing anything except clamping anyway.

So you're right that people here shouldn't call it thread seal the way they use it, but it still is called that, and particularly in LPNG, it's meant to seal in some cases.
regardless of what you call yourself, Teflon tape is NOT a sealant. I'm not a plumber & not gonna get into a pecker measuring contest with you, but I do work for NASA and know a lil' bit about sealing pneumatic and hydraulic systems, specifically on flight hardware.
Willie Makeit is offline   Reply With Quote