View Single Post
Old 11-05-2018, 01:04 PM   #38
davepl

Re: Best fuel line thread sealant?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willie Makeit View Post
I don't recall asking for any help. PTFE tape, regardless of name its sold under, is NOT a proper sealant for mechanically sealing threads.
Wait, which kind isn't for thread sealing? The thread sealing kind or the film kind? Because there are two different types. See I was going to be all pedantic and helpful and give you an out whereby you're probably thinking of ptfe friction reduction film tape, but you doubled down, so... oh wait, I already did. But you're still a solid red X in the wrong column today.

I'll just leave this exerpt from 3M Part Number 48, their teflon thread sealant tape, which explains how it should be used. Reader can decide if what you're saying jives with the manufacturer:

"Scotch® Thread Sealant and Lubricant 48 is a white unfused plastic film made of polytetrafluoroethylene (PTFE). This fluorocarbon resin film tape designed to provide a leak-resistance seal when used as a pipe thread sealant."

I can guess the next steps, so I'll leave them to the reader as an exercise and take my leave... I don't personally use any of the stuff in fuel applications, for what its worth. Maybe on bushings and other tapered-thread stuff. Can't think of anywhere its under pressure through, in stock form I think it's all taper or clamp.

Last edited by davepl; 11-05-2018 at 01:09 PM.
davepl is offline   Reply With Quote