View Single Post
Old 12-13-2019, 02:14 AM   #22
dmjlambert

Re: Vent window repair

I bought the Precision seals and rivet kit with the special little punch from GMC Pauls. It did not go very well on the first one, and I had removed the rivets that hold the bottom of the triangle part.
Name:  Screen Shot 2019-12-12 at 11.33.40 PM.jpg
Views: 537
Size:  20.1 KB

It was impossible for me to get the rivets back in there. So I used some small screws.

Using the punch for the other rivets did require my wife's help to give me some more hands for about 10 minutes of the job.

For the second window I watched a video online where a guy showing how it's done took loose other rivets, but not those particular ones I had trouble with. So the second one was much easier.

https://youtu.be/WiZOiHmcb_w

I also did not remove the large rivet that pivots for the window. Instead, I removed the smaller rivets that hold the pivot to the frame.

I found that the new rivets from GMC Paul were not drilled deep enough. So when they were completely squashed with the punch, the rivet did not hold the thin metal pieces tight in some places in the assembly. So, I had some drilling and re-doing and experimenting around and thinking about it to waste some of my time.

I finally just took a little drill bit and drilled the rivets slightly deeper and it made a big difference in how easy it all was. I did some looking online to find rivets made with a deeper hole depth, and it was just too overwhelming to look into it and figure out which ones to buy, so I decided next time I do this I will simply buy the rivet kit from GMC Pauls again and drill them out a little before I begin.
Name:  image001riv.png
Views: 534
Size:  22.3 KB

After this experience I feel it would be no big deal to do another set of these using the rivet punch.
dmjlambert is online now   Reply With Quote