View Single Post
Old 11-13-2009, 06:33 PM   #49
snowblind

Re: New Member - 72 Jimmy: Project Knuckledragger mountain commuter

I did the body mounts last weekend. I went with poly mounts because they were readily available. GMCpauls said the rubber kits were back ordered until December.

All of the factory bolts except for the rad mounts were spot welded at the heads. I think this is normal and it wasn't too tough to grind the welds down but still a PITA if you don't have the right tools.

The instructions said to do the mounts one side at a time but I wanted to paint the mounts before installing so I jacked everything up at once. I just spanned the area where rocker boxes should be with wood and then jacked it up. Here's what a Jimmy looks like with a 33" titres, 3" spring lift and 6" body lift.

Here's some PITA photos. The first is what happens when you bottom out a lot when towing... The second one shows how much undercoating is on parts of the frame.

After I got all the old stuff removed I spent a few hours stripping undercoating and then I painted. Eventually I'll get the whole frame painted but for now I just did the mounting points and immediate vicinity. I used KBS coatings Rust Seal paint. It's a 3 step process like POR-15 that I heard a lot of good things about. I'm happy with the results so far.

I'll get some photos of the mounts installed soon.

Matt

Last edited by snowblind; 11-13-2009 at 06:35 PM.
snowblind is offline   Reply With Quote