Thread: Greg's 50 Build
View Single Post
Old 04-08-2014, 12:02 AM   #136
Root2812

Re: Greg's 50 Build

More progress!!! She rolls now and it felt good to let the jack down. This weekend I got the TCI rear leaf kit installed along with my 3.73 limited slip rear. The kit wasn't hard to install after I removed the $&%@ rivets. The only hang up I had was that my rear end has 3.25 inch axle tubes and the kit comes with hardware for 3 inch tubes. I just ordered some bigger ubolts and some larger axle perches to solve that problem.

Here are some pics of the kit's parts bolted on

And it on the ground. Keep in mind that the weight on the front will drop it some. Right now the frame is level so I should have a slight rake after assembly and suspension settle. I'll also put in the shock mount cross member later. I'll take this apart for sand blasting soon so there was no point to mount shocks.

Let me ask you pro's a quick question. I have read about pinion angles and I see 3 degrees used a lot and the TCI kit said 5 degrees. Since it wasn't a big difference I ended up with 4 degrees. Sound good to you guys? Of course that was 4 degrees up from level. That parts is still tack welded in so if I f'd it up please tell me.

I also recently picked up my transmission. Its a 2001 4l60e with 73,000 miles. Only $644 out the door including core charge. I have my motor mounts and tranny cross member too so the motor should be in by the end of the month. Very exciting.

Last edited by Root2812; 04-08-2014 at 12:12 AM.
Root2812 is offline   Reply With Quote