View Single Post
Old 10-26-2020, 04:09 AM   #28
Qknf4u69

Re: 'Hay Burner' 69 LWB Frame Off Restore

Who could think putting on a power steering hose could be so tough. I do now.

The power steering I added to the build was off a 71 donor, found way back in the 1900's when you could sometimes find one of these 67-72 pickups in the wrecking yard, if you have read previous posts you'll know when. All of these parts were rebuilt but I had never put either of the power steering lines on my big block. Hours of searching on the inter-web led me to believe that I needed a Gates 355230 Pressure Hose and 6" or so of 3/8" rubber line. Well, the 3/8 line was easy to grab out of my stock and I ordered up the hose as no one keeps this in stock near me. I will add that all of the accessories were from a 73 truck with the long water pump. I could not find a hose that was inverted flare for that year from the auto parts store so I figured I would try the stock for my year and engine.

Enter today... my new line was delivered and I tried every conceivable way I could imagine to make the line fit but it my headers or inner fender seemed to get in the way. I know I am not the only person that has put headers on a big block with power steering, what gives, must be the 73 brackets that is causing my issue.

Time to take make some adjustments, first thought, maybe making the almost 90º at the pump a bit more 90ish, maybe 10º or so more. That helped but I needed to have a shorter end after the new 100º plus angle at the Inverted flare fitting.

I took out my inverted flare tool and moved the fitting nut as far on to the angle I had just bent and marked out where I need to cut. I was either going to make this hose work or it would be going in the trash. I don't think they would have taken back after the adjustments I was making. I ended up removed 3/4" and then reflared the piece. It now fits with 3/8" away from the header. If someone has encountered a better hose number I would love to know what would fit as a stock replacement. Hopefully I will find a better replacement before this hose gets old and leaky. I do not really want to have to create one offs.

Moral of today; a 10 minute job can turn in to over 3 hours with luck. Never give up!
Attached Images

"Wouldn't say I was missing it Bob"
Qknf4u69 is offline   Reply With Quote