View Single Post
Old 04-07-2020, 11:28 PM   #94
KevinK7

Re: Budget Shortbed: welding, grinding, rust oh my

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onry69CST View Post
Kevin, I think you really helped me out here, I have the two dash vents backwards, I hope. Thank you for posting pics! Nice job on the wiring. It doesn't seem too bad to get up in there, but one you've spent a few hours under the dash it really starts to frustrate me.

Where are you running the courtesy lights and glovebox light to? I need to do those as well but the stock wires were cut so I'm unsure of the correct way.
Courtesy and glove box lights:
Not that you have to use 'factory' harnesses/connectors, but since I've done a few 1st Gen Camaros, the connectors are the same, and since I had an extra courtesy light harness, it's literally 'plug n play'. Near the left side of the fuse box, you'll find the connector for the cab dome light (orange and white wires). The courtesy light harness is meant to be 'patched in'. Just unplug the cab light connector and put the courtesy harness in, and you're good to go.
Regarding the glove box light, since I was installing a aftermarket radio (Retroradio) that needed 12V, I made up a harness that brought power to the radio (and tapped for the glove box light (another left over Camaro harness, but again a typical 'Chevy' harness)) and plugged it in. For the record, I have a few old harnesses that I've been 'sourcing' the necessary connectors from. Besides those, ...some solder and shrinktubing I'm doing my best to keep the costs manageable.

In the photo, the RED WIRE(S) "12V" tap, This is the wire to the cigarette lighter, I tapped into it for the radio 12V (and Glovebox light). The WHITE wire ("ACC") is the accessory wire going to the radio. Lastly, the OrangeWhite wires (circled in red) that is the cab light, plugged into the Auxilary Lighting harness I patch it. I've got the harness tucked in, so you barely see it in person, and/or in pics...

As for getting up into the dash, it could be worse lol, but it ain't fun
I did get a 6x9 dual coil speaker up above the radio, but it was tight. My dash was already cut by the prior owner, so I needed to make up my own faceplate for the radio. It's not factory, but it works just fine. For the record, ...that RUN in the dash paint, ...that's factory

Last edited by KevinK7; 04-07-2020 at 11:38 PM.
KevinK7 is offline   Reply With Quote