View Single Post
Old 06-19-2012, 03:18 PM   #30
Slow Build

Re: Going to look at a Tahoe. High miles-should I worry

Thanks for the sympathetic note.

Things may not be as bad as I thought, then again they might be as bad as I thought. I have been doing some searching on the net and found someone with the same symptoms as mine. A milky looking fluid coming out of the oil pan just at the end when draining. In his case it turned out to be because it had been driven on just short commutes that didn't allow it to fully warm up causing moisture to build up under the fill cap. His solution was to trade cars with his wife every few days on a longer commute and it seemed to resolve the problem. My Tahoe had been at the dealer’s lot for over a month and had only been taken on short test drives. Before that who knows. I'm going to watch my fluid levels closely and go from there. Besides that I have been told by one shop that it's not recommended to change the head gaskets on such a high mile engine because the compression may raise and cause lower end problems and that it would require a new engine. I don't know what to believe anymore so I'm taking a wait and see approach.

I put a new battery (which the dealer knew was bad) in and it's down at a local shop getting the AC diagnosed so hopefully it's something cheap (yeh right). I have verified that the dealer refilled the AC multiple times though. He told me that when he got the Tahoe it was blowing hot so he recharged it just once and it's been fine ever since. That was before I drove it the first time. When I called the shop that supposedly changed the fuel pump (which they say was done at a lot lower price than the dealer told me) and he told me they also recharged the AC and the dealer didn't want any diagnostics done on it, just a refill. That was after I drove it so he knew about that problem. What a scumbag.
Past GM Trucks:
1959 GMC short stepside
1968 GMC short stepside-4x4
1973 Chevy short stepside
1989 Chevy short fleetside-reg cab
1993 Chevy short fleetside-Xcab
2002 Chevy short fleetside-Xcab

Save the dinosaurs, use synthetic oil.
Slow Build is offline   Reply With Quote