View Single Post
Old 06-27-2020, 05:59 PM   #24
shortboxin

Re: 5.3 C10 Swap Idle Issue

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyphix View Post
Yup. You’ve got a fuel pressure issue. Needs to be up around 58psi consistently.
Quote:
Originally Posted by layinrocker65 View Post
Definitely has a pressure problem that needs to be fixed. I’d fix that first to rule that out from anything else.
Okay, replaced my fuel pressure regulator last night and the pressure was identical. Figured I'd locate a pressure tester from a friend to make sure mine was accurate. In the meantime, I did a search for "fuel pressure testing ls engine" and immediately came across Bad Luck Garage's "LS ENGINE FUEL PRESSURE FACTS AND MISCONCEPTIONS". Very informative piece.

He breaks down the three different fuel systems of that era and the different expected pressures for each 1. returnless, 2. return style, and 3. return style - flex fuel. The returnless system should operate in the 58PSI range. The return style - flex fuel (my engine) should operate in the 42-50PSI range with vacuum connected.

He also explained that by removing the vacuum line, the pressure will come up to maximum (which I did early in the week and got 54PSI). On this system with vacuum disconnected, he states that the proper pressure is between 48-54PSI at idle. This would mean my fuel pressure is NORMAL. If you're interested, this is covered at 12:56 in the video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wA6mmc8fvQo

This guy performs his own tunes and sounds like he has a very strong grasp on the different systems. At this point, I'm going with the fact that I'm good on fuel pressure. I think my next best bet is to check for vacuum leaks around the throttle shaft on the throttle body per Rich84.
shortboxin is offline   Reply With Quote