View Single Post
Old 06-14-2010, 11:37 AM   #17
DKN

Re: CPP Brakes SUCK!!!!!!!!!

Looking at this picture I see the lip on the edge of the friction surface. Unfortunately some of the brake pad manufactures make their pads with the friction in slightly different positions on the brake pad. The only harm is the lip generated as the pad wears. Since it is a wear item it does not amount to much. If the crack in the friction is on the outer pad I recommend checking the axle for end play. It is common for the axle to have some end play, however if the end play is to much the outer brake pad can act as a limiter for the side to side movement. As the axle is limited against the pad it will be dragging the brake against only 1 brake pad, usually the outer pad since the caliper can float towards the inboard direction. It will make the brake pad get very hot. This may have caused the crack in the friction surface. You should also check to see if the brake is holding pressure after the pedal is released, this could also cause the brakes to operate at higher temperatures. There are many factors that could cause the brakes to hold pressure. I have seen several instances where the original brake system had rust build up in the brake lines. The rust can become loose when bleeding the system for the new brakes. The rust can cause a blockage that holds residual pressure in the brakes. When this happens people are quick to blame the new brakes even though the rust problem is there from the old brakes but did not become evident until the new brakes were installed. Also double check that the bracket is square with the rotor. Drum brakes can be mounted on crooked and uneven flanges without any problems; the shoes simply mount on a spring loaded pin and follow the drum. Disc brakes require a much more precise mount, and many axles are not machined all that well from Chevrolet. If the brackets need adjusting simply shim the mounting bosses until the brackets are straight. You kit should have included a package of shims.

We normally sell this kit with calipers that feature an internal parking brake. The internal parking brake calipers work much better for C-clip axles. They allow the axles to move side to side more without affecting the brake. The caliper pistons can not compress from the normal end play found in C-clip axles. I recommend using the calipers with an internal parking brake.

Like someone else already mentioned, you can easily chamfer the edge of the brake pad where you see the lip, but that will not address the heat build up in the outer pad. Since I did not perform the installation I can not tell exactly what the problem/problems are. Start by checking the end play on the axle, it is usually the cause. The end play will make the bracket flex, build heat, and misalign the friction material with the rotor. You can call me and I will help identify the root of this problem, but I will need more information.

FYI: switching to another caliper will most likley solve nothing, espically a caliper without an internal parking brake.

Sincerely, Danny Nix
CPP
DKN is offline   Reply With Quote