View Single Post
Old 04-02-2012, 11:51 AM   #16
Jonboy
Slots go on anything!

Re: Darryl's License Plate Restoration

Quote:
Originally Posted by redneckgirl View Post
Here in Maryland you can actually register a vintage plate with the MVA if it is a MD plate & year specific to the year vehicle it is going on and the car is normally tagged as historic. We had a 66 Impala with a set of vintage plates. You are given two registrations. One for the vintage plates, and one for the regular historic plates, which you must keep in the car at all times (ie in the trunk)

We're really lucky. There is a guy here locally that does awesome work & don't have to worry about shipping, etc....he'll even find you the plates if you don't have them
Texas is similar, except you do not have to have the historic plate. I was able to use the YOM (year of manufacture) plate, and it does not have any bearing on the use, like an antique or historic plate would. I think it looks cooler than a personalized plate, and it was only $15 + normal registration. The vehicle still has to pass our state inspection (safety only, due to age). It also worked out well that the lettering on the '74 pate is a reddish orange, just like my truck.

There are usually vendors here that sell plates at the swap meets. I was able to find a new set of truck plates still in the plastic.