View Single Post
Old 04-26-2018, 08:57 AM   #11
BIGglaSS

Re: Where does a guy start?

Quote:
Wattage ratings and rms ratings, I am assuming this translates into volume/clarity?
Ohms, resistance but that's where it ends for me. Are there good reasons to choose different styles?
Don't worry about this right now. Most decent component sets are in the 50-100 rms range, and 4 ohm. We can find an amp that will be suitable. It is best to have more amp rms than speaker rms. You don't use that extra power, it is called "headroom".

Quote:
Frequency ratings, I'll also assume this is for clarity but where do you compromise whith in the ratings? Example is more just better? From 20k to 50 k noticeable?
Cone design ?
Cone material?
This doesn't matter until you get to "obsessive audiophile" status. Even those guys, are constantly selling their used stuff to buy something different. I've read that most people don't notice the upper range. I asked the same question about cone material on the audio forum. Didn't get much response because it is a personal taste. Most guys look at a frequency graph to pick individual speaker drivers, and analyze "q" "f", etc. That's too complicated for what we're doing here. (nor do I fully understand it)

Quote:
Also is there any benifit in staying with the same manufacture as a whole?
Nope. It is just for looks, or to say "my car has ...." Every different brand and every different speaker is going to have it's own unique tone. And, two identical systems are going to sound different in two different cars. You don't have the means to test listen to every possible combination available. That's one reason that I don't have a specific recommendation.

Quote:
last thing i need in my life is another obsession. Between 80 and 250 bucks there are several hundred choices! Ok let's see... I 've tried no to just buy so.ething because it's on clearance but I am wondering how much I would even notice? Sorry to be such a noob.
haha... My wife is wondering what my next obsession is going to be... I like clearance. Speaking of clearance, I'm intrigued by these:
https://www.amazon.com/JBL-GTO609C-P.../dp/B00ANI3LAK
Based on spec's, they could be a solid choice. They were discontinued a few years ago, so I don't know if they're BNIB or refurb.

These may be a hidden gem if you aren't concerned with "brand name logos". Made by a company called SB Acoustics:
https://www.sonicelectronix.com/item...-VSP65KIT.html

Slowcpe:
Sounds like you have a solid setup. My 57 using coupons and finding deals (not yet installed): Retrosound HU $244. Zapco ST-5xII (5 channel) amp $199. Image Dynamics 5x7 components (kick panel) $240. Wiring $32. Still to purchase: ID8 sub $85. MiniDSP $115.

I could have cut costs on components. But I was on a mission to find a speaker I could hide behind a 63 belair vent cover:

Quote:
Source: Exile Audio Bluetooth Receiver. I had this sitting on the shelf and its quick and easy to install.
I have been searching for something like this that has a FM tuner that could be accessed via iPhone. Do you know of any such thing?
BIGglaSS is offline   Reply With Quote