View Single Post
Old 05-24-2006, 09:41 PM   #14
farmtruckIII
71 GMC 454/TH400

Re: 72 truck with a 454 from the factory?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longhorn Man
Why would the VIN have an engine displacement code? C is V-8, E is Inline 6, and M is V-6... no displacement breakdown in the VIN.
I have never heard of a 454 being an RPO (regular production option) in 67 - 72 trucks, like the 400, it's just a common transplant.
I have quite a bit of factory lit here (granted, mostly chevy) that says nothing about 454. I have a huge binder stuffed with dealer ship letters, from GMC corp to the dealer, notes about certian options being introduced mid year, options being discontinued, stuff like that, and just about evey engine is mentioned... except the V-6, and no mention of 454 anywhere..
It coulda happened, but I too want to see a SPID label, or factory, dated lit, saying something about it.
I've heard ppl say "LMC has the stickers, so it musta been real".... not always the case.

Correction C=2 wheel drive, and E=V-8, and GMC had added codes for 71-72 they added the "T" designation for GMC only and they engine code option for GMC 2500 series and up. I will agree that the 454 was never available in the 1/2 ton, but it was available in the 2500 (in rare cases) but was mostly found in 3500 and up heavy duty trucks. The 454 was replaced by the tall deck motors in industrial apps in late 73. This is information out of a service manual given to me by my deceased great uncle. If I had a scanner I would provide the proper info.