View Single Post
Old 08-03-2014, 12:37 PM   #45
67ChevyRedneck
Hittin E-Z Street on Mud Tires

Re: Can an AC Installed make the engine run hotter than before?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CST10 View Post
I guess that condensor is adding the heat. I put a temp gun on it and it was running 150 degrees on the ac condenser which would increase the incoming air temp by 55-60 degrees vs the ambient outside temp.
If you're still asking if the A/C condenser adds heat, that answer is absolutely 1000% yes.

A condenser adds heat a couple ways.

1. It's physically blocking the radiator. Air still pulls through it, but not as easily as it did before the condenser was there.

2. Condensers can get pretty damn hot with the A/C cranked on high. So now, your fan is trying to cool your radiator and it's pulling the hot air through the condenser into the radiator as well, so the system has to work much harder.

That is why on any factory set up where A/C is involved, there is almost always a much larger radiator and a larger fan that pulls more air. That's probably not 100% true on modern cars anymore (can you even buy one without A/C?) only because it's cheaper to just put the "max cooling" stuff on everything, rather than have multiple parts for the same car (another reason why crank windows aren't offered anymore, it's actually cheaper to just have ALL cars have power.)

Post some pics of your current set up. Did you put the thermostat back in? That should be done before anything else.
1968 Pontiac Firebird: Project Fire Chicken!
2015 Silverado Double Cab 5.3L Z71
2001 Jeep Wrangler Sport 4.0L 5spd
2020 Chevrolet Equinox Premium 2.0L Turbo
2011 Mustang V6 ~ Wife's ride
American Born, Country by the Grace of God
1967 CST Shop Truck Rebuild!
My 1967 C-10 Build Thread
My Vintage Air A/C Install
Project "On a Dime"
Trying my hand at Home Renovation!
1965 Mustang Modifications!
67ChevyRedneck is offline   Reply With Quote