Thread: S10 Swap how to
View Single Post
Old 06-15-2015, 06:29 PM   #336
skymangs

Re: S10 Swap how to

Quote:
Originally Posted by tre5 View Post
So, I've read a lot of the s10 swap threads and I have a few questions that I'm guessing Skymangs or someone else can answer.
1. In this thread there are two different heights of body mounts. I also read in this thread that if you use the version 2 mounts, when you do the bed a piece of 1-1/2" square tubing can be set under the lip on the inside edge of the bed as a bed cross member. I saw in another thread that the cross member was placed on the top side of the lip... so is that where that would go using the version1 mounts?
2. What are the benefits to mounting the cab higher or lower? Looks like either way the trans tunnel needs modification, so why not go with the lowest center of gravity possible?
3. So everyone is reusing the S10 factory isolators? What about the radiator support? It looks like most are just trimming down the stock support and welding some brackets to it that bolt straight through the top of the s10 frame. No isolators up there? How's that work... with the cab floating on isolators, bolted to the front sheet metal, then no isolators attaching the front part of the sheet metal to the frame? Seems as though that would be an issue???

I'm hoping to start on mine soon. I've had the truck for almost two years and I'm starting to get going on it.
Thanks in advance!
The version 1 stands will require spacers between the cross sill and frame. There are schematics early in yhis thread on that. Version 2's have the cross sill directly on the frame. If the cross sill was welded above the rails, then that individual must have mounted his cab even lower.

The reason for mounting the cab closer to the frame is to lower the ride height without modifying the springs. Still rides nice even lowered.

The S10 isolator design doesn't allow the cab to move, just provides shock cushion. I've been driving several that way for more than 2 years with no issues. The reason that the core supports were isolated was to protect the hard mounted radiator. Since I float mount the radiators, there are no issues.

Hope that helps.
skymangs is offline   Reply With Quote